The HMS Psychiatry Executive Committee and the Hauser Family are delighted to formally recognize Marshall Forstein, MD as the recipient of the 2020 Stuart T. Hauser, MD, PhD Mentorship Award.
For decades, Dr Forstein has dedicated himself to teaching and mentoring countless residents, students, and colleagues. His remarkable mentoring has had a deep impact on so many people.
Dr Forstein earned his BA in English Literature from Middlebury College, and his love of teaching led him to thrive for 5 years in the role of high school English teacher. Later he completed his medical training at the University of Vermont College of Medicine, and then completed his psychiatry residency at Massachusetts General Hospital. Following residency, he came to Cambridge Health Alliance, where he has excelled in varied leadership roles including clinical–administrative leadership of the Outpatient Department and HIV Mental Health Services through the Zinberg Clinic, and as Director of the Adult Psychiatry Residency Program since 2003. He is Associate Professor of Psychiatry and served as the Acting Head of the Department of Psychiatry at Cambridge Health Alliance from 2015-2019. He is currently Vice Chair for Education in the Department of Psychiatry at Cambridge Health Alliance.
His nomination letter included many voices expressing sincere admiration and gratitude. A sampling here conveys some of the depth of Dr Forstein’s courage, humanity and leadership.
- “I was there when he held our Department together during incredibly complex and difficult times. Marshall helped lead us through the fog. We all drew on his humanity, generosity of spirit as a clinician, teacher, administrator, scholar, and friend.
- “Marshall was at the forefront of the AIDS crisis as it was unfolding in the ‘80’s, fearless, present, and humane.”
- “Dr. Forstein's contributions to issues of diversity and inclusion are what spoke to me when I first interviewed at Cambridge Health Alliance for residency.”
- “Marshall is tireless in his commitment to recruiting a diverse group of trainees, and I have strengthened my own commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in graduate medical education as a result of his mentorship.”
- “Marshall has a nuanced appreciation for the value of understanding and bringing one's whole self to the role of psychiatrist, understanding the importance of helping trainees dig deeply into their own life experiences and how they intersect with the clinical role.”
- “What [residency] applicants most often comment on to me is his effort to get to know them each as individuals —they appreciate his warmth and enthusiasm for understanding their individual stories.”
“I am filled with admiration for his stamina, energy, values, good-natured temperament, and generosity of spirit.”
We honor Dr Forstein for all he has done as an exceptional mentor and role model.